[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Tue May 15 20:33:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Michael Peel <michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
> wrote:

> Thanks Philippe - that sort of helps, yes. :-) But I'm a bit confused
> looking at:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff#Legal_and_Community_Advocacy
>
> Is there only one Legal Counsel or multiple - does Stephen replace, or
> work with, Michelle? If the latter, how do the roles relate to each other?
> Similarly, how does the day-to-day work of the GC and LC relate? Does the
> GC delegate tasks to the LC, or are there formal lines in the sand between
> their activities?

There are Multiple people filling the staff attorney/legal counsel role:
Michelle and Stephen are both legal counsel (though Stephen's is a more
junior role).  They each will have a portfolio of tasks that they "own" but
in reality they function very independently.  The GC can designate any work
he wants to anyone he wants, but he tends to prefer to let people own a
portfolio that they're the subject matter expert in.  As for the day to day
work of the GC and LC.... I'll let one of them answer that.  I'm not an
expert in it.

> Also, who's Daisy? She doesn't appear to be on the staff page on the wiki?

She's a temporary paralegal.  With us for six months, I believe. :-)

> Thanks,
> Mike
> P.S. In general, it might be useful if the on-wiki staff list was
> accompanied by descriptions of the roles that the staff take within the
> various teams. I'm sure that it's understood within the teams and by those
> working at the WMF, but it's a bit opaque and confusing from an outside
> perspective.

I'm speaking out of school here, but I think Gayle is working on something
like this?

pb