[Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong

Deryck Chan deryckchan at wikimedia.hk
Fri May 11 22:08:41 UTC 2012

Not a problem. Many east and south-east Asian countries' citizens enjoy
visa-free access to Hong Kong (
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HK_Visa_Policy.png ).

Visa-on-demand for business or leisure travel is also available for
residents of most major cities in mainland China and all of Guangdong
province (the province surrounding Hong Kong). Application needs to be done
prior to travel, but rejections of such visa is unheard of in the last few
years. I have relatives from Guangzhou who visit Hong Kong regularly on
these visas and they've never had a problem :)

That said, more complex procedures are needed for people from rural areas
of mainland China to visit Hong Kong. With our working partnerships in the
Meeting and Exhibition Office in the government, we endeavour to ensure
that every registered attendee of Wikimania 2013 gets the visa assistance
they need.

There are special visa for residents of Taiwan to visit Hong Kong. Other
than a few extraordinary cases involving high-profile controversial
politicians, rejection of such visa is also unheard of.

Deryck