[Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

James Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Wed May 9 08:03:56 UTC 2012

On 8 May 2012 11:50, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the calendar, I am grateful for it.
>
> I think am having trouble using it. I use Google Calendar anyway and
> have added public calendars before but I forget how I did it.
>
> I went to the wiki page and clicked on the link. This downloaded a
> file to my computer. I then used the 'import calendar' option in
> Google Calendar and pointed to the downloaded file and this has
> successfully added 6 events to my calendar.
>
> But I'm not sure this will update when new things are added at the
> Foundation end. Will it? I just have an idea that when I added
> calendars previously it was by adding a link rather than via a file on
> my computer.

Yes, you have taken the iCal file rather than the feed.

In Google Calendar, you need to Settings -> Calendars -> Browse
interesting Calendars -> Add by URL

At that point, paste in the XML feed URL:

   http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/wikimedia.org_1co89h9c5s99d0jt9ld1tlsols%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic

Then you're done. :-)

I imagine Mike's solution's URL might work too if you have
philosophical issues about other people using proprietary software:

  webcal://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester at wikimedia.org | jdforrester at gmail.com