[Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Sat May 5 00:49:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Peel
<michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk>wrote:

> Open source calendar software is trivially available. Or there's wikis and
> microformats. Or even hand-crafted calendar files. Google calendars may be
> a popular solution, but they're a recent one and are hardly the only
> solution out there. And they're definitely not a mission-aligned solution.
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm confused, as Oliver and I pointed out this is already on the wiki
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours ?

In my opinion the main goal of the mission is getting information and
education out to everyone as much as we can. This seems completely in line
with that mission having it both on the wiki (completely open source,
editable etc) and on another, heavily used and requested, location.
Refusing to put it on google calendar solely because it's closed source
would, in my mind, by nuts.

James