[Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed May 2 17:39:47 UTC 2012

On 5/2/2012 10:25 AM, Nathan wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Risker<risker.wp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Have to say that the last several office hours (of varying nature) have all
>> been during "business/school hours" in the Americas - and in some cases for
>> (western) Europe/Africa as well - and the ones on the current schedule are
>> all pretty much in the middle of business hours for these regions.  When so
>> many office hours are occurring within the same narrow time window, it
>> really limits the potential participation group to the same people all the
>> time, and risks becoming a walled garden.  Please consider a more diverse
>> window for office hours in the future. And no, I don't expect that every
>> office hour be during a time that I'm available, but there's only been one
>> (out of fifteen) that occurred during the period where Wikimedians are most
>> active.
> That's a good point (that I think has been made and partially addressed in
> the past), and I don't to detract from it at all, but let's also note the
> difficulty of scheduling off-hours "office hours" for WMF staff members -
> they participate during their own work day, which for US-based staff of
> course means business hours in the Americas range.
Also a good point. That being said, as I understand it the office staff
are generally allowed a fairly flexible schedule, rather than being
locked into specific hours like a 9-to-5 workday. So I'd consider it a
generous gesture if some of them would occasionally use that flexibility
to arrange for IRC office hours to take place in other time windows.

--Michael Snow