[Wikimedia-l] "Clerk" role description?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:13:02 UTC 2012

David Gerard wrote:
> The arbcom "clerking" role evolved from the tedious paperwork of
> arbitration getting annoying. Best not put a bureaucracy in place
> until it's absolutely needed. We have enough of a tendency to
> instruction creep without planning it in advance ...

Thomas Dalton wote:

> I don't think we are at the beginning of that discussion. The WMF
> board's resolution  instructing Sue to sort out the creation of the
> FDC (which followed on from lengthy discussions on meta, and had a
> great deal of consensus) is pretty clear about what the FDC will be
> doing. There are plenty of details to be finalised, but the basic idea
> of what the FDC is there to do is already decided.

The most significant block of work that was done ad-hoc last year
which would presumably be done by the FDC this year, was requesting
and reviewing annual plan and budget deatils from chapters that needed
infrastructure grants.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Plans_2011-2012

That was reportedly a difficult process, in which some parties felt
paperwork was tedious and annoying or underspecified and inconsistent.
 It would be good to preempt that this year.

SJ