[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 28 03:34:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
> On 27/06/2012 12:10 AM, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Kim Bruning<kim at bruning.xs4all.nl>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The SOPA strike was necessary for us to retain neutrality.
>>
>> Figuratively speaking, or do you think it actually made a whit of
>> difference?
>

> I'm pretty sure it had an effect; if only that of increased media coverage
> (Wikipedia's visible action did focus much of the coverage).  To me, at
> least, it seems evident that the backlash against SOPA was stoked by that
> media coverage.
>
> So yes, I'm pretty sure it did make a difference.

As I recall SOPA was already dead in the water before the blackout
occurred.  Am I wrong about this?

The law was quite clearly flawed, even beyond what I think the current
US congress is capable of passing (at least, without some direct tie
to terrorism).

Interestingly, one of the best arguments against SOPA will be if Jimmy
Wales loses the argument about his newest cause.  If websites like
TVShack.net can be shut down without relying on SOPA-like language,
then this would be preferred, since 1) current law is much less likely
to hit legitimate sites like Google and Wikipedia; and 2) Extradition
under SOPA is much less likely to meet the dual criminality standard.