[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:59:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2012 16:02, David Richfield <davidrichfield at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This must be the most misleading mailing list title I've seen in a
> > long time.  Almost all of these tropes are untouched:
> >
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SexualHarassmentAndRapeTropes?from=Main.RapeTropes
> > - it seems they just had a problem with Google withdrawing ad revenue
> > because they hadn't clearly demarcated all the pages which were not OK
> > according to Google's terms.
>

> This is pretty much completely wrong, as you'd know if you'd read the
> links at the beginning. The pages were already marked "don't put ads
> here". Google objected to their presence on the site at all. The pages
> were removed, the internet said "wtf" and TVtropes has now restored
> them without hearing back from Google.

That's odd. As far as I can see, they all have ads on them.

See e.g.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsNotRapeIfYouEnjoyedIt
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldManMarryingAChild
etc.

I note they all have a request, in bold: "No Real Life Examples, Please!".
That seems to be new.