[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:10:12 UTC 2012

On 27 June 2012 16:02, David Richfield <davidrichfield at gmail.com> wrote:

> This must be the most misleading mailing list title I've seen in a
> long time.  Almost all of these tropes are untouched:
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SexualHarassmentAndRapeTropes?from=Main.RapeTropes
> - it seems they just had a problem with Google withdrawing ad revenue
> because they hadn't clearly demarcated all the pages which were not OK
> according to Google's terms.

This is pretty much completely wrong, as you'd know if you'd read the
links at the beginning. The pages were already marked "don't put ads
here". Google objected to their presence on the site at all. The pages
were removed, the internet said "wtf" and TVtropes has now restored
them without hearing back from Google.

- d.