[Wikimedia-l] Language links and double language links on the Wikipedias

Denny Vrandečić denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de
Mon Jun 25 10:29:09 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I ran some analysis last week, to get some numbers out of the
Wikipedia language links. One type of reports that were generated was
the list of all articles in the main namespaces of the Wikipedias that
link to more than one article in another language edition of Wikipedia
(so called double language links). There are not that many of them
(about 19,000 in total), split by language, all available here:

<http://simia.net/languagelinks/>

Double language links are not errors per se, but they contain a few nuisances
* they lead to two links in the language links list that just look the
same (you have to hover over them to see that they link to different
languages), which is not really optimal from the user experience side
* they are not saved in the langlinks table and thus are ignored in
certain reports and also in the respective export

I am not sure how to reach out to the respective Wikipedia
communities, or if I should at all. Should I post to their respective
version of the village pump? Remembering from the time I was active on
the Croatian Wikipedia, I would have appreciated that list to check
the entries. I reckoned the wikipedia-l list would be the right place,
but that list looks rather dead.

Cheers,
Denny

--
Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das