[Wikimedia-l] IRC office hours "The future of e-mail usage in Wikimedia projects" 2012-07-18 16:30 UTC

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 01:47:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2012 18:22, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <smazeland at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> Date: 2012-07-18
>> Time: 16.30 UTC
>> Venue: #wikimedia-office
>>
>> You are invited to a Wikimedia Foundation IRC Offfice Hours in Wednesday
>> July 18, 2012 at 16:30 UTC (time zone information: http://hexm.de/j6).
>>
>> The Wikimedia Foundation features, product, design and legal teams want to
>> discuss with the community how they see they use of e-mail in the future,
>> as development of new features will increasingly make more use of e-mail as
>> a way to contact and engage new, current and previously active users.
>>
>> Please mark this date in your calendar if you wish to participate in the
>> discussion. We will send a reminder a few days before the meeting.
>>

> Excuse me. Just about a month ago, we had a discussion about spreading out
> the times during which office hours would be hosted. Instead of increased
> diversity in times, it seems ALL office hours are now being scheduled
> during a very narrow window of time from roughly 1530 UTC to 1800 UTC.
> Now, I don't have a problem with *some* office hours being scheduled then.
> But I can't remember the last time an office hour was scheduled outside of
> that narrow window.  So...if you wish to have diverse opinions, you need to
> engage people who aren't available during normal business hours throughout
> the Western world.  At this point, office hours have essentially become the
> same group of people meeting at about the same time to discuss whatever the
> topic of the day is. Now, maybe that's the objective here, and I'm
> misunderstanding.
>
> Risker

Actually, that doesn't even really suit those of us who work during
normal business hours in the Western world. So even though I live in
the US, I'd call for staggered hours, to bring in a wider range of
views from all areas of the Earth.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.