[Wikimedia-l] IRC office hours "The future of e-mail usage in Wikimedia projects" 2012-07-18 16:30 UTC

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 00:54:00 UTC 2012

On 24 June 2012 18:22, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <smazeland at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Date: 2012-07-18
> Time: 16.30 UTC
> Venue: #wikimedia-office
>
> You are invited to a Wikimedia Foundation IRC Offfice Hours in Wednesday
> July 18, 2012 at 16:30 UTC (time zone information: http://hexm.de/j6).
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation features, product, design and legal teams want to
> discuss with the community how they see they use of e-mail in the future,
> as development of new features will increasingly make more use of e-mail as
> a way to contact and engage new, current and previously active users.
>
> Please mark this date in your calendar if you wish to participate in the
> discussion. We will send a reminder a few days before the meeting.

Excuse me. Just about a month ago, we had a discussion about spreading out
the times during which office hours would be hosted. Instead of increased
diversity in times, it seems ALL office hours are now being scheduled
during a very narrow window of time from roughly 1530 UTC to 1800 UTC.
Now, I don't have a problem with *some* office hours being scheduled then.
But I can't remember the last time an office hour was scheduled outside of
that narrow window.  So...if you wish to have diverse opinions, you need to
engage people who aren't available during normal business hours throughout
the Western world.  At this point, office hours have essentially become the
same group of people meeting at about the same time to discuss whatever the
topic of the day is. Now, maybe that's the objective here, and I'm
misunderstanding.

Risker