[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:39:02 UTC 2012

On 18 June 2012 12:29, Tobias Oelgarte <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I guess Tom misunderstood my comment. I wrote down a simple plan how an
> external solution could work and how to minimize the effort to maintain it.
> If there is a community (it might overlap with our community) that would run
> such a "filter portal" (or even multiple portals) then it should be even
> more sufficient as if we would implement filters inside Wikipedia itself.
> They could really block images and make a child-save zone after their own
> definition, while we could continue as usual without having the burden to
> avoid conflicts.

The Board acted according to the Harris report, which just said to do
it on the site itself:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2010_Wikimedia_Study_of_Controversial_Content:_Part_Two

It's still not clear to me (looking over part two or part one) why it
has to be on the site itself and no post-site solution is acceptable.
Presumably someone interested can dredge through part one and pick out
the sentences that back this position as opposed to post-site
filtering.

- d.