[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:29:38 UTC 2012

Am 18.06.2012 09:21, schrieb David Gerard:
> On 18 June 2012 08:00, Tom Morris<tom at tommorris.org>  wrote:
>
>> {{sofixit}}
>> If all the people in favour of filters had spent their time building them rather than arguing about them, we would have had a wide array of different solutions, without any politics or drama.
>
> The problem there is the insistence of filter proponents (from board
> down) that it *has* to be done on the sites themselves, with any
> post-site solution being considered unsuitable. Why is not clear to me
> either.
>

> - d.
I guess Tom misunderstood my comment. I wrote down a simple plan how an
external solution could work and how to minimize the effort to maintain
it. If there is a community (it might overlap with our community) that
would run such a "filter portal" (or even multiple portals) then it
should be even more sufficient as if we would implement filters inside
Wikipedia itself. They could really block images and make a child-save
zone after their own definition, while we could continue as usual
without having the burden to avoid conflicts.