[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jun 17 22:40:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It didn't even need to be complete fork. A whitelist copy would most likely
> already be sufficient for your needs. It would automatically update any
> article on a white list after a quick review (like sighted revision) or even
> entirely automated for articles or images marked as unproblematic. There
> would be some programming work (an "confirm update button"), but overall it
> would be easy to implement and maintain. That way you could easily create a
> Wiki suited for the needs of a special audience which is quickly updated and
> expanded to the latest versions. A subset of Wikipedia.

I don't see how that isn't a fork.  And I don't think it would be easy
to implement or to maintain.  Citizendium tried to do this without
even doing the automatic updating part, and they quickly decided that
it was more trouble than it was worth.

Maybe things have gotten better since then.  Maybe they have gotten
worse.  I don't know.  Is there even a way to export an article,
including (recursively) all the templates it depends on?