[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 17 17:04:20 UTC 2012

Am 17.06.2012 17:16, schrieb Anthony:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So I think my question - if this is so obviously the
>> right thing, then where are the existing attempts? - still stands as
>> relevant.
> The fact that it is the right thing isn't obvious, and forking of free
> content is generally a last resort, when all else has failed.  Those
> "recent statements by board members that the filter is alive and well"
> make a fork less likely, not more.
It didn't even need to be complete fork. A whitelist copy would most
likely already be sufficient for your needs. It would automatically
update any article on a white list after a quick review (like sighted
revision) or even entirely automated for articles or images marked as
unproblematic. There would be some programming work (an "confirm update
button"), but overall it would be easy to implement and maintain. That
way you could easily create a Wiki suited for the needs of a special
audience which is quickly updated and expanded to the latest versions. A
subset of Wikipedia.