[Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 12 22:48:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 05:44:40AM +0000, Mike Dupont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again the full history is available on archive.org and i think that no one
> is going to think that this data is from me, it is clearly marked as being
> from wikipedia.

You are very concientious, and normally this would indeed be adequate (not perfect,
but definitely adequate :)

It is adequate because wikipedia itself retains full attribution information in
page history. One can follow the chain from the copy back to the wikipedia original
back to the page history and voila, more than you ever wanted to know.

The problem with deleted/hidden articles on en.wp is that the history information
is also deleted/hidden; and therefore the attribution chain is broken.

Attribution information is important for legal and open content reasons of
course.

Is it possible to keep a copy of page history somewhere also?

I know the mediawiki export/import functions support this, and work
via GET request.
see
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export

eg: