[Wikimedia-l] Update on IPv6

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 15:21:08 UTC 2012

On Jun 2, 2012, at 6:13, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't they sometimes contain MAC address information?
>>
>> I don't know, but I wouldn't consider my MAC address to be personal
>> information... you might be able to work out what brand of computer
>> I'm using, but I can live with that.
>
> I'm not sure what you're defining personal information as, then.
>
> Is your vehicle's VIN personal information?

It becomes a global unique publicly visible identifier if you always use the same connect method (wireless, ethernet) and don't enable privacy extensions.

In WMF relevant senses, unaware abusers with multiple ISPs become easier to find.  And privacy is different, because many end users are IDed that way.  But the implications of that are unclear.  Someone being outed to an employer or government by MAC?  ...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone