[Wikimedia-l] Update on IPv6

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Jun 2 14:09:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Leslie Carr <lcarr at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

>>> I don't know, but I wouldn't consider my MAC address to be personal
>>> information... you might be able to work out what brand of computer
>>> I'm using, but I can live with that.
>
> I think that having a problem with the implementation of IPv6 is about
> 10 years too late now ;)

The problem isn't with IPv6.  The problem is with the way WMF uses IP addresses.

Of course, it's about 10 years too late for that too.  :)

> If someone cares about their mac address information, they can use
> privacy extensions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6#Privacy .

I agree.  Though it would probably be a good idea to warn people about
the problem, before publishing their address for the world to see.  A
sentence or two added to the IP address warning which already appears
would probably put things on par with IPv4 addresses.

Personally II think WMF is far too loose about IP addresses in the
first place.  But as I said above, it's about 10 years too late for
that.

---

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-122/sp800-122.pdf

Page 2-2

"The following list contains examples of information that may be
considered PII."

"Asset information, such as Internet Protocol (IP) or Media Access
Control (MAC) address or other host-specific persistent static
identifier that consistently links to a particular person or small,
well-defined group of people"

"Information identifying personally owned property, such as vehicle
registration number or title
number and related information"

Granted, it only says "may be considered" PII.  Certainly seems
definitive to me, though.

And note, of course, that IPv4 addresses also may be considered PII.
IPv6 addresses are just sometimes more likely to be
persistent/static/consistent, and often link to a smaller, more
well-defined group of people.  But then, see above, as IPv6 addresses
sometimes are more anonymous than IPv4 addresses.  It all depends on
the implementation.

Anyway, I do think MAC addresses are certainly (in the vast majority
of cases), PII.  That IPv6 addresses are often PII.  And that IPv4
addresses are often PII.  I don't think IPv6 addresses are
particularly more likely to be PII than IPv4 addresses.  So,
basically, I think the privacy concern specifically about IPv6 is
mostly misplaced.  But it would be nice to readdress the privacy
concerns over IP addresses in general.