[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Textbook borrowing heavily from Wikipedia without proper attribution

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 07:11:38 UTC 2012

While I was happily improving Wikipedia's article on HIV/AIDS today I came
across a recently published textbook that perfectly supported our article
on HIV. I than realized that it to perfectly supported our article and that
it was little more than extensively copied and pasted from us without
appropriate attribution. This is becoming more and more common now that
Wikipedia is getting better. The academic press is comes and borrowing
extensively from us and claiming our material as their own.

The bigger question is regarding how this effects verifiablity going
forwards. This cartoon is coming true http://xkcd.com/978/

The Wikipedia page on HIV from Dec 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=HIV&oldid=402612350#Sexual

In general, if infected blood comes into contact with any open
wound<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound>,
HIV may be transmitted. This transmission route can account for infections
in intravenous drug users <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_injection>,
hemophiliacs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemophiliac>, and recipients ofblood
transfusions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_transfusion> (though most
transfusions are checked for HIV in the developed world) and blood
products. It is also of concern for persons receiving medical care in
regions where there is prevalent substandard hygiene in the use of
injection equipment, such as the reuse of needles in Third
World<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World>
 countries. Health care <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care> workers
such as nurses, laboratory workers, and doctors have also been infected,
although this occurs more rarely. Since transmission of HIV by blood became
known medical personnel are required to protect themselves from contact
with blood by the use of universal
precautions<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_precautions>.
People who give and receive tattoos <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo>,
piercings <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing>, and
scarification<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification> procedures
can also be at risk of infection.

HIV has been found at low concentrations in the
saliva<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva>
, tears <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears> and
urine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine> of
infected individuals, but there are no recorded cases of infection by these
secretions and the potential risk of transmission is
negligible.[45]<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=HIV&oldid=402612350#cite_note-pmid2963151-44>
It
is not possible for mosquitoes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito> to
transmit HIV.[46]<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=HIV&oldid=402612350#cite_note-45>

This textbook from Mar of this year. Go to page 264 to see an exact copy of
this: Gupta, Priya (2012). *Understanding and Management of Special Child
in Pediatric Dentistry*<http://books.google.ca/books?id=VAqP7xd4r74C&pg=PA264>.
JP Medical Ltd, 2012. pp. 264.
ISBN<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number>
 9350256312 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/9350256312>