[Wikimedia-l] Translations efforts

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:45:00 UTC 2012

As many may be aware we at Wikiproject Medicine are working with
Translators Without Borders to translate key medical content into as many
other languages as possible. A quick outline is basically we bring medical
articles to Good Article or Featured Article in English. They are than
handed of to TWB who has two trained translators who translates the content
from English to the destination language (one for the initial translation
and one to verify the translation). For those languages where I have been
able to find Wikipedias, these Wikipedians than integrate the content into
that language Wikipedia, if we have not yet found Wikipedians I attempt to
do it the best I can. This has worked well so far for 9 languages as are
listed here in this table outlining our progress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine/Translation_task_force/RTT

An issue has however risen on the Polish Wikipedia. The English "cite
journal" "cite book" and "cite web" templates do not work. They have
created their own very similar templates partly supposedly to decrease
people translating content between languages. I do not know if a bot exists
that can make the conversion to an entire page? Or if there is another work
around? Many of the articles we are looking at eventually translating have
100-200 references. It will not be possible to do this manually.

If anyone wants to take on the lead role of integrating medical content
into different language Wikipedians I would love you help. Please sign up
here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine/Translation_task_force/People

--
James Heilman