[Wikimedia-l] conversations between WMF and non-English projects

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 29 20:08:13 UTC 2012

2012/7/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>:
> Amir E. Aharoni, 29/07/2012 21:35:
>
>>> I'm not sure I like the idea of "key community stakeholders"
>>

>> Well, this sends us back to Tom Morris' classic post:
>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-February/118759.html
>>
>> But that's a different topic.
>

> Is it really only a problem of language?

The problem is that many parts of the report are written in
Corporatese English, and "key community stakeholders" is an example of
it. I'm not even sure what that means. Quite possible its actual
meaning is much better than the way it sounds.

> Why should the WMF meet ArbCom members, for instance? It doesn't seem a
> suitable way to understand a community. I'm not saying that there are easy
> alternatives of course. :-)

ArbCom is quite important for the English Wikipedia, but it's
certainly not the only important thing. And indeed, the Foundation is
investing quite a lot in other channels of communication with enwiki,
which is OK. Most importantly, it also starts to invest in
communication with other languages. The general direction is good; I'm
just trying to give some tips.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬