[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Sun Jul 29 16:28:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Florence Devouard, 29/07/2012 13:37:
>
>> But seriously... I would feel fine with us trying to claim that the GEP
>> is the largest system effort to INCREASE the number of articles. It is
>> probably true.
>>
>> But we all know that the result is... so and so. Possibly good content,
>> but also lot's of crap being reverted and deleted afterwards. Claiming
>> it is the largest effort to boost high quality content is not only
>> disingenous... but I actually find it counter productive and a tiny bit
>> offensive toward the actual community.
>

> Another passage is interesting too: «We've successfully brought in thousands
> of students [...] they typically make a small number of edits [...] and then
> leave. [...] initiatives like "Wiki Loves Monuments" have also achieved very
> high multimedia participation in spike months (22K uploaders in September
> 2011, when WLM took place, returning to normal levels immediately
> afterwards).»
>
> Where are the statistics validating this interpretation? I didn't find
> anyone able to answer me how many of the thousands participants to WLM
> contributed to Commons or another project afterwards. Their motivation is
> very different from the students'.
Regarding the "normal levels", I suppose you haven't yet had a chance
to look at http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors ?

Also, recently Lodewijk, with the help of WMF data analyst Erik
Zachte, posted this interesting analysis:
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/new-editors-thanks-to-wiki-loves-monuments/

If I read it correctly, from the newbies among the WLM participants,
61 were still active in May 2012. This compares to altogether 7053
active editors on Commons during that month (the latter number is from
http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/TablesWikipediaCOMMONS.htm ;
note that a user who makes just one edit or one upload during a month
falls below the threshold for the currently used active editors
metric). But as the blog post notes, there are efforts underway to
improve retention of new contributors in this year's WLM.

> Nemo

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB