[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Jul 28 18:54:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> I suppose that, like any good Wikimedian, we like to balance ourselves on
> the edge cases. We can imagine many. The underlying case would be IOC vs.
> Uploader. These other points about joint authorship and photo editing really
> have more bearing on the identity of the defendant.

I assume that the IOC has been granted some sort of permission by the
various participants in the olympic events.  So if you're
photographing, say, the opening ceremony, then your concern would not
only be with regard to the rights of the IOC directly, but also with
the rights of any opening ceremony participants who granted an
exclusive license to IOC.