[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 22:47:57 UTC 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> I don't see that joint authorship enters into this at all. I think it's safe
>> to assume that the one holding the camera is the one making the creative
>> decisions about the photos.
>
> Then continue to advise people that they are the sole owner of a
> photograph just because they clicked the shutter.
>
> My advice is that the law isn't that simple, and that blanket
> statements of that type are quite often incorrect.

To the degree that we can advise people at all on copyright, it is safe to say that at the point someone clicked the shutter they were the sole owner of any copyright.  Considering just this moment in time, it is far, far more likely that there is no copyright created at all than that a joint authorship situation is created. However, many things can occur after this point in time which will result in a work with joint authorship.

Birgitte SB