[Wikimedia-l] Geolocalization improvement proposal

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:25:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Cristian Consonni
<kikkocristian at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/7/24  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>:
> > On Jul 24, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> people with local events, has real value. And that it has value for the
> individual people just as much as for it.WM.
> >>
> >> strong +1.

> people with local events is worth the risk of collecting more personalized
> of their data than we are accustomed to handling.
> >>
> >> I could be wrong but I don't think we would "handle more data" than
> >> what we are doing now. We are not going to use that data and as far as
> >> I know that data "dies" in the moment the system has output the
> >> message.
> >
> > Maybe this is the area that needs more study. And I am probably the
> wrong person to try and even formulate technical questions, but is there a
> way to make use of this data without storing it? Without even knowing who
> recieved what personalized messages, unless, of course,they choose to
> respond?
>
> I will forward these questions to wikitech-l.
>
> > There is still the "creep" factor, in that readers of the messages will
> not necessarily know that it was all handled blindly. However it should
> technically preserve the reader's privacy, if no person nor computer can
> recall what messages any person was presented with. And if an FAQ is
> well-linked, anyone who under the misperception that it was handled
> invasively can learn how serious we are about the subject.
>
> A FAQ page would be useful, then I think we could decide that, for example:
> * the geonotice can be centered only on big cities (e.g. "Chef-lieus")
> * Messages should not make use of the geolocalization information
> itself, but only static test (i.e. NO "Hey you living in X, there a
> meetup in Milan" -  YES for "There's meetup in Milan")
>
> > If such a thing is even possible I suppoose it becomes a sort of
> philosophical question. If no one nor computer can know whether or not you
> recieved a personally targeted message is the targeting invasive of your
> privacy?
>
> yes, that's pretty much my point, I think nobody is interested to know
> if somebody has seen a geotarget message or not, my point is about
> making people from Milan (north of Italy) know that there is a local
> meetup without bothering people from Rome (center) or Palermo (south
> of Italy). (please note that with the current system we were not even
> able to accurately distinguish betwen macro-regions as
> north/center/south Italy)

There also are infoboxes and categories that people use to indicate where
they live.

It could also be a preference, to make it private info.  (and would be nice
to get geonotices for "home" even while I am traveling, or if I use a proxy
or something)

Cheers,
Katie

> Cristian

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012