[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 24 19:49:35 UTC 2012

2012/7/24 Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>:
> Would it make sense to start a more thorough long term lobby on this issue?
> Considering that this will be a returning issue every two years, I guess
> that would be worth the trouble...

Generally, I think that it would be a good idea. I'm just not very
comfortable with the fact that I'm not so good myself at political and
commercial strategies and that I expect other people to actually do
the lobbying, but as far as ideological campaigns go, it seems that
this one is quite right for Wikimedia.

Maybe it doesn't even have to be confrontational ("the IOC is evil")
or preachy ("all information must be free"). Maybe somebody who is an
experienced researcher in social and commercial media can simply
convince the IOC that releasing some photos or giving Wikimedians a
permission to take photos and to publish them under a free license is
beneficial to the IOC itself. Maybe I'm just fantasizing.

Most of all, I'm still curious about the reasons that the IOC (or
whoever is in charge) provided for the refusals.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬