[Wikimedia-l] Board resolution on personal image hiding feature

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 23:13:05 UTC 2012

Dear all,

At its 11 July board meeting, the Board of Trustees passed a resolution
rescinding its previous direction to implement the personal image hiding
feature.

The resolution is online at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:_Personal_Image_Hiding_Feature

We are working on a Q&A document that will be published after Wikimania.

The following is the resolution's text:

"In May 2011, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees unanimously passed
a resolution regarding controversial content. The resolution included a
request to the Executive Director to implement a "personal image hiding
feature" for the Wikimedia projects.

Following a community poll organized by the Foundation, and extensive
discussion in various venues, it has become clear that this issue can be be
highly divisive and distracting to the Wikimedia community. We trust our
community, and we respect the arguments that have been made opposing the
feature as well as those in support of it. We affirm our support for better
user choice and user preferences, but do not want to prescribe a specific
mechanism for offering that choice. Therefore we rescind the request to
develop this feature. The remainder of the May 2011 resolution remains in
effect."

Cheers

Bishakha