[Wikimedia-l] SOPA, threat or menace (was Russian Wikipedia goes on strike)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jul 11 16:05:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Seth Finkelstein <sethf at sethf.com> wrote:
> Semi-digression - I'd take the above argument more seriously if dedicated
> Wikipedia editors didn't keep making "BADSITES" proposals.

It's also interesting to watch the overlap of PIPA-opponents, and
Citizens United opponents.

Without Citizens United upholding free speech of people who use the
assistance of corporations, something like PIPA would be much easier
to impose.  And the lobbying currently being done by WMF could very
well be outlawed.  The Wikimedia Foundation is, after all, a
corporation.

I wonder if the WMF will shut down in protest should one of the
proposals to amend the constitution to overturn Citizens United gain
traction in Congress.