[Wikimedia-l] Declaring my candidacy

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:32:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Thehelpfulone
<thehelpfulonewiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9 July 2012 13:21, Sebastian Moleski <sebmol at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Today, I'm declaring my candidacy for Secretary General of the Wikimedia
> > Chapters Association. After recent conversations with a number of people
> at
> > different chapters, I've decided to run for this position because I
> believe
> > that it would allow the chapters to make best use of my skills and
> > experiences. Last year, when I worked with four European chapters on
> > starting developing strategies for their organizations, I realized
> > first-hand what huge potential we have still left uncovered. Many
> chapters
> > excel in some areas while failing in others, rarely for lack of
> enthusiasm,
> > but mostly for lack of support, guidance, and advice. When discussion of
> > council of chapters started again last year, I felt that it was one of
> the
> > most promising ways that could allow chapters to excel much more often
> than
> > to fail in the future.
> >

> Given that
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Secretary-General
> is
> still in a draft format and hasn't significantly been touched since April
> 2012, I'm inclined to say that this is premature. In addition, there's a
> question related to this on the talk page,
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Secretary-General#Status
> that's
> been unanswered for just under a month. Where have recent discussions, if
> any, been taking place as I seem unable to find them on-wiki (and I don't
> think a WCA specific mailing list exists)? What is the election process?
> How many candidates are there? How will the Secretary General be appointed
> - Chapter voting? Public voting?
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Secretary-General#Process_of_Selection
> suggests
> that a HR company will be selected, by whom? It also suggests that a
> community-driven subcommittee will be appointed, again by whom, what will
> these requirements be?
>
> In addition, I do not think that we have ever (someone will no doubt
> correct me if I am mistaken) posted candidate nomination statements to this
> mailing list, is this also something new? I don't intend to sound hostile
> and in no way am I opposing your candidacy, it's just your email has just
> brought up quite a few questions that don't appear to have been answered as
> of yet.
>
> I also just came across
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Chapters_Association/Establishment_of_the_Chapter_Council_Steering_Committee
> which
> states that "*The committee will hold an open process via Meta Wiki, email,
> [...]

Hi THO

You are right about everything. ;)  And yes, this was premature, not a lot
has been decided. I think the committee learnt of this as the same time, as
you did.

Sebastian announced this on a private list and I believe, and he wanted to
announce it publicly as well. And the same things you pointed out have been
brought up. There are no other candidates, there has been no call for
candidates. Majority of what has happened is on Meta, there is an interim
committee and a meeting is planned with the chapters during Wikimania.

Regards
Theo