[Wikimedia-l] Why is not free?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 9 00:00:58 UTC 2012

Your answer would imply that we never ever should try to combine a free
image with any of our logos in a single work (not a collection). I wrote
the reason in a previous mail already. We would have a copyright
violation if the new work is released under a free license since the
logo isn't free or we don't release it under a free license which is a
copyright violation of the free image. This is a dilemma and the only
reasonable/responsible consequence is to not create such an image and to
delete all images which are subject to this issue.

Given this ugly situation i have to ask: Why?

We have hundreds, thousands if not millions of files which have
restrictions (de minimis, personal rights, FOP, ...) aside from
copyright law. The logos are just the same but are treated entirely
differently, despite the fact that it is much more like that one of the
other (not so) free images is reused in cases which are against the law.
I just don't get your argument.

nya~