[Wikimedia-l] Wisdom of the crowd vs. wisdom of the experts and insiders

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:18:55 UTC 2012

I thought this was interesting so I’m passing it along. This sentence particularly caught my attention: “The answer, I think, is to take the best of what both experts and markets have to offer, realizing that the combination of the two offers a better window onto the future than either alone.” Substitute the word “crowds” for “markets”, and perhaps there is something here that could be applied to Wikipedia in our quest for quality, mixing the best of expertise and crowdsourcing. I’d be very interested in hearing comments from other Wikipedians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/sunday-review/when-the-crowd-isnt-wise.html

Cheers,

Pine