[Wikimedia-l] OFFICE actions and WMF image tagging

Richard Symonds richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 3 21:32:04 UTC 2012

> is someone's off-wiki opinion or behavior or even criminal past, grounds
> for a block?

In my opinion, yes. I have carried out many blocks (and bans) based partly
on the off-wiki behaviour of an editor. It's really only necessary in very
serious cases involving violence, stalking, child protection etc - although
it can also involve other things - there are many situations! If an editor
was, for example, a young child (8 years old) who was posting their
personal information again and again, and not listening to warnings not to,
I would block them for their own safety. If an editor puts another editor,
or themselves, in danger, I would have no qualms about blocking them
immediately. I would probably block them if I thought that there was a
strong, or even medium chance that people would be harmed. Looking after
our younger or more vulnerable users is really, really important.

As to privacy, yes: people (even criminals) do have the expectation (but
maybe not the right? I don't know) of privacy. That is why so many of these
blocks are only discussed by advanced permissions users and the office. If
they were discussed by the community, the discussion would rapidly turn
into a lynch-mob or a "slander factory".

Richard Symonds