[Wikimedia-l] crazy deletionists!

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:15:42 UTC 2012

On 3 July 2012 12:02, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 3 July 2012 at 10:15, Svip wrote:
> > I can't believe _I_ am not the ultimate ruler on what is valuable
> > enough to get on Wikipedia. It seems most of the delete comments on
> > the Justin Bieber article are mostly people who dislike Justin Bieber.
> >
> > Surely Lady Gaga on Twitter[3] should be deleted as well? Or perhaps
> > that is different, because they like Lady Gaga more than they like
> > Justin Bieber.
> >
> > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga_on_Twitter
>
> To be fair, 'Ashton Kutcher on Twitter' is also up for deletion too. In
> both the Kutcher and Bieber case, there's a lot of "I don't like it,
> therefore it can't be notable!"
>
> I just cannot see any legitimate argument for deletion being presented.
> They all basically boil down to "don't like it!"

Hammersoft makes a compelling argument.

I've been keeping track of the discussion (no particular personal opinion
on it) and currently some of the deletion arguments seems to be holding
strong sway; particularly comments about NOTDIR & content forking etc.

The keep arguments largely centre around ILIKEIT; some assert notability
under GNG but so far no one has presented a source that adequately covers
this. I've been through a big portion of the sources looking for one that
covers this intersection/topic in sufficient depth to assert notability and
so far there isn't one.

It's essentially a collection of trivial mentions & news/gossip reports.

Whether that adds up to GNG I don't know. The keep votes aren't doing a
good job of convincing me.

Tom