[Foundation-l] ACTA analysis?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 23:58:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Orionist <orion.ist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If I understand correctly, Obama has issued an executive order
>> approving ACTA, but that executive order is suppressed as a state
>> secret.  And the administration hasnt given it a number because there
>> are no gaps in the numbering of Obama's EO list..?
>

> As I understand it's rather called an "executive agreement", which is
> another word for "treaty"; so the president signing the treaty itself is
> enough and there's no need for an executive order, but I might be wrong.
>
> However, sen. Wyden has been questioning the constitutionality of signing
> ACTA without getting Congressional approval:
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120126/01545117544/as-ustr-insists-acta-doesnt-need-congressional-approval-wyden-asks-state-dept-second-opinion.shtml
>
> Regards,
> --
> Orionist
>

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:33 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
>> wrote:
>> > ..
>> >
>> > One does well to follow Michael Geist's blogs on this
>> > [http://www.michaelgeist.ca/ here].  He has been on top of this issue
>> since
>> > it started, and provides links to developments on his left sidebar.
>> >
>> > ACTA is probably more damaging outside the US than within because it
>> imposes
>> > US views in other countries without any of the due process that would
>> > normally be available to US persons. The entire agreement is a trade
>> > agreement which only happens to have copyright as a major content
>> element.
>> > It seeks to protect the interests of American business.  By framing the
>> > issues in terms of "trade" and "enforcement", it ignores how seriously
>> > fucked-up copyright law has become.
>>

>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120124/14071517529/new-petition-asks-white-house-to-submit-acta-to-senate-ratification.shtml
>>
>> 33,765 votes so far.
>>

>> https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/end-acta-and-protect-our-right-privacy-internet/MwfSVNBK
>>
>> If I understand correctly, Obama has issued an executive order
>> approving ACTA, but that executive order is suppressed as a state
>> secret.  And the administration hasnt given it a number because there
>> are no gaps in the numbering of Obama's EO list..?
>>
>> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Barack_Obama/Executive_orders
>>
>> And in the EU,
>>
>> 'Kader Arif, the "rapporteur" for ACTA, has quit that role in disgust
>> over the process behind getting the EU to sign onto ACTA.'
>>

>> http://www.blogrunner.com/snapshot/D/3/3/european_parliament_official_in_charge_of_acta_quits_and_denounces_the_masquerade_behind_acta/

I have said before, that SOPA, PIPA and ACTA are smoke-screens for
OPEN, which is a nasty beast like none of the other four. It is
constitutionally sound under The First Article of the Constitution,
but stands against everything the US has stood for after The Hague
1907 treaty. In fact, Ron Paui suggested that letters of marque be
used against Al-whatever that terrorist oganisations spellin is. But
he was denied. It would be a supreme irony that letters of marque
would be used in defense of Mickey Mouse, but not the "homeland".