[Foundation-l] ACTA analysis?

Orionist orion.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:50:59 UTC 2012

> If I understand correctly, Obama has issued an executive order
> approving ACTA, but that executive order is suppressed as a state
> secret.  And the administration hasnt given it a number because there
> are no gaps in the numbering of Obama's EO list..?

As I understand it's rather called an "executive agreement", which is
another word for "treaty"; so the president signing the treaty itself is
enough and there's no need for an executive order, but I might be wrong.

However, sen. Wyden has been questioning the constitutionality of signing
ACTA without getting Congressional approval:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120126/01545117544/as-ustr-insists-acta-doesnt-need-congressional-approval-wyden-asks-state-dept-second-opinion.shtml

Regards,
--
Orionist