[Foundation-l] WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:42:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Kat Walsh <kat at mindspillage.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM, WereSpielChequers
> <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Phoebe, Often the most interesting thing about an agenda is what it
>> omits.  So the first board meeting after the SOPA blackout is not going to
>> discuss blackouts, SOPA and lobbying?
>
> I am assuming Legal will bring it up in the context of the annual plan!
>
> But in our last in person board meeting--very shortly after the
> Italian blackout, though I swear I put it on the agenda before
> that!--we discussed whether this was something we should get involved
> with/devote resources to at all, and what it would mean for us:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2011-10-07 (search for "advocacy")
>
> Now we're just into specific implementations. :-)
>
> -Kat

What Kat said -- also, in general, topics that don't make it to the
in-person agenda are usually discussed over email and/or IRC; the
in-person time is so limited that we try to limit to topics that would
really benefit from face-to-face discussions. This meeting in
particular we are trying a slightly different strategy in that we
tried to limit the number of topics discussed, so we can go further
in-depth for each one. Also, I think broad advocacy discussions will
certainly continue for a long time into the future (versus the annual
planning and fundraising discussions, which are time-sensitive).

phoebe