[Foundation-l] Bosnia's Top Cultural Institutions Shutting Down

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 00:06:52 UTC 2012

On 7 January 2012 20:12, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not implying that you are American. I'm just saying that you are an
> ignorant chauvinist.

Oh no nothing so nice I'm afraid. I'm a person who takes a genuinely
internationalist view.

> The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina holds 400,000 artifacts.
>
> Any National Cultural Institution closing is a disaster.

How much did you care when Birmingham's Museum of Science and Industry closed?

Cold hard maths says that the  Bosnian institutions are of only
limited international significance. The fact that the English
Wikipedia articles are not only short but lack interlanguage links to
any other languages  including members of the south slavic diasystem
particularly doesn't look good.

But even if we accept them as first rank institutions that we really
should care about, the funding issues appear to involve a bunch of
local political and ethnic issues that it is unlikely that anyone at
the foundation really understands. So trying to get involved would
first involve understanding what is actually going on which we don't
really have the resources to do.

--
geni