[Foundation-l] Blink tag jokes are now obsolete.

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 01:43:02 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas

I really dont

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> There were numerous non-Jimmy banners used during the fundraiser because
> they were tested and proved to work well. The Jimmy banners were used
> extensively too because they still perform very well in the tests,
> particularly when improved using the lessons learnt from the other banners
> that were tested.
>
> In future, I suggest you pay more attention rather than asking such
> ill-informed questions. I wasn't involved in the tests - everything I've
> said in this email came from the reports the fundraising team published
> before and during the fundraiser. If you had bothered to read them, you
> wouldn't have had to ask. They are all on meta - I suggest you go and read
> them.

I was part of the fundraising team last year, so do allow me the courtesy
to know which banners were used and compare to make my own judgements. I'm
also a Meta admin, I know that might not count for much, but I monitor
recent changes and patrol pages for hours when I can.

You might not agree, but calling my assumptions ill-informed, and telling
me to "pay attention" as if I'm some petulant child you need to discipline,
is insulting. You are not making a point, but just accusing me of being
ill-informed, and rather rudely.

I never suggested non-jimmy banners weren't use, if you would care to look,
this year was not the first time they were used. They were used last year,
with much less fanfare and the same amount of testing. If you would also
care to look Jimmy still outperformed most of the banners, you would also
read that the fundraiser started with Jimmy and ended with Blinking Jimmy.
The team tried pretty hard to match or beat Jimmy banners last year, this
is not something new. You might want to read the fundraising page yourself
for effects of green background against jimmy and smiling maryana vs.
frowning maryana. Do explain how my comment said in jest, about replacing
the middle portion with non-jimmy banners was so out-of-line, this was not
far-fetched if you saw the editor submitted banners last year. Regardless, (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2011) as Kaldari pointed me to
the link. Thank heavens I don't need to search through Meta.

And here is the most important point, Geo-targetting and chapter-ran
fundraising, really changed what everyone saw in their banners. Your
sweeping assumption that this was the first year that editor appeals were
tried and they worked are plain wrong. They were tried last year. You don't
even have an idea which country I am or was located in, or what I saw.

On an unrelated point, this is no where near some of the ill-informed
questions and points I have seen you raise. But I do extend the courtesy of
keeping my personal opinions to myself and rather refer to the content.

Theo