[Foundation-l] Blink tag jokes are now obsolete.

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 02:31:27 UTC 2012

On 1 January 2012 02:23, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Enough, Thomas.  After a reasonable explanation of the actions taken today,
> you are now dredging up complaints about *last year's* fundraiser.  The
> actions you're complaining about above were not repeated this year.  This
> is called "learning from experience", and it is a talent that is highly
> prized within the WMF family of projects.  After all, there is not a one of
> us who has not made an error in action or judgment.
>
> Please stop.

They have not learned. Zack said, further up this thread:

"It's a trade off between doing things that might annoy some people in the
banners vs. reducing the number of days we need to run banners at all. It's
hard to find the right balance."

That is wrong. You can both not use annoying banners and have a short
fundraiser by simply spending less. I'm not saying that's necessarily
what the WMF should do, but it should consider it, which comments like
Zack's make it clear they aren't doing.

Whenever you are considering doing something to raise funds that will
have negative side effects you need to think about whether whatever
you'll be able to do with those funds is worth those side effects. The
WMF doesn't seem to get that.