[Foundation-l] My public aplogies to Jan-Bart (was Movement roles letter, Feb 2012)

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 16 17:27:40 UTC 2012

Agreed.  As one of those whose name is frequently butchered due to our
medium of communications (who knows how I want it pronounced until/unless
you meet me or someone who's met me?), the criteria I use in judging
offense is "Has this person ever been told by me how I prefer to be
addressed?  If not, then see step 1.  If so, a mild reminder is in order."
The mild reminders tend to escalate.  After the point of reminder, common
courtesy dictates extra care on the part of the person referring to you.
My friend Aphaia did this very kindly with me years ago, and I have never
gotten it wrong since, to my knowledge.

An exception:  I'll be damned if I'm writing out ""Oliver Keyes, God of
Delphi, Sol, and all Ethereal Planes Known and As-Yet Undiscovered" because
I won't grant - in writing - my own claims to those ethereal planes. :-)

pb
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

philippe at wikimedia.org

To check my email volume (and thus know approx how long it will take me to
respond), go to http://courteous.ly/hpQmqy

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Thomas Morton <morton.thomas at googlemail.com