[Foundation-l] New project: WikiMake - library of free 3D models?

Leinonen Teemu teemu.leinonen at aalto.fi
Wed Feb 8 10:10:07 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Has there been any attempt to start a Wikimedia project focusing on free 3D models?

I think, right now it would be the right timing for it. The prices of 3D printers and other computer controlled machines are coming down [1] and there are growing network of FabLabs around the world providing access for public to design and fabricate their own objects.[2]

I have contacts to the European Fablab folks and we probably could start with them a project on an Incubator.

Best regards,

	- Teemu

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printer
2. http://fab.cba.mit.edu/about/faq/

PS. FYI: We had a chat about this with Erik Möller in the Wikimania in Haifa - So, this was probably his idea originally. This came in to my mind now when I am involved in starting a FabLab in Helsinki.

Teemu Leinonen
http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/
+358 50 351 6796
Media Lab