[Foundation-l] Eli Manning is a sporting MVP, and TMZ.com is stealing Wikipedia content

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:51:39 UTC 2012

In the news on the English Wikipedia, Eli Manning was named most valuable
player for Super Bowl XLVI. TMZ.com, a top 500 website and one of the most
popular gossip websites in the world[1], is using English Wikipedia content
without license or attribution for almost all of its immense biography
database.

A simple rundown using some random Super Bowl related bios, no inline
citations for referential comparisons and I don't have the time to find the
exact diff, but they exist:

American football players:

*Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Manning>
*TMZ: <http://www.tmz.com/person/eli-manning/>

*Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady>
*TMZ: <http://www.tmz.com/person/tom-brady/>

*Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker>
*TMZ: <http://www.tmz.com/person/wes-welker/>

Madonna was the halftime show.
*Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_(entertainer)>
*TMZ: <http://www.tmz.com/person/Madonna/>

Kelly Clarkson sang the American national anthem:

*Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Clarkson>
*TMZ: <http://www.tmz.com/person/kelly-clarkson/>

At the bottom of every single TMZ biography, I'm certain of which almost
all are ripped from Wikipedia, is this:

© 2012 EHM Productions, Inc. All rights reserved.

Thank you for your time.

1. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tmz.com

--
~Keegan