[Foundation-l] "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 7 12:03:10 UTC 2012

On 07/02/12 22:13, Svip wrote:
> On 7 February 2012 04:49, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
>> is pretty good reading.
>
> The complaints usually sums as 'hey, great work on that article,
> unfortunately, I am a bit uncomfortable with subject at hand, so let's
> best not celebrate your contributions'.

Some FAs should never be shown on the main page.

Nothing in the FA criteria says anything about the subject of the
article: such as whether the subject is of broad interest or has
educational merit. Such criteria should be considered for choosing
articles to show on the main page. The main page should show the best
of Wikipedia, not the ugliest loopholes in its inclusion criteria.

I was involved in some deletion debates in 2002 and 2003. Nobody knew
at the time that if we said "OK, let's allow this" then some day the
fancruft we were allowing would be featured on the main page, with the
only criteria being that a fan puts enough effort into their style and
citations.

-- Tim Starling