[Foundation-l] Fw: Strike against the collection of personal data through edit links

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 5 10:13:21 UTC 2012

The person running it is Dario Taraborelli, our chief research officer;
he's currently on holiday. Hopefully we'll have more specifics soon - in
the meantime I've started a new FAQ item at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_Feedback_Tool/Version_5/Help#What_are_the_new_phrases_like_.22articleFeedbackv5_click_tracking.22_in_the_URL_bar_on_some_articles.3F.
I prepared it a couple of weeks ago; sorry for not putting it up until now.

On 5 February 2012 02:09, Brandon Harris <bharris at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>        I'm not sure why this couldn't be done if that were all that is
> being measured.  I suspect there's other behaviors being tracked.
>
>        As I said, I'm not the person who knows most about this, so you
> have to take what I am saying with a grain of salt.
>

> On 2/4/12 5:21 PM, WereSpielChequers wrote:
>
>> Hi Brandon, thanks for the explanation, but wouldn't it be easier to just
>> analyse edit summaries? If you edit by section the edit summary defaults
>> start with the section heading.......
>>
>> Were SpielChequers
>>
>> Message: 7
>>
>>> Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:51:49 -0800
>>> From: Brandon Harris<bharris at wikimedia.org>
>>> To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.**org<foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Fw: Strike against the collection of
>>>        personal data through edit links

>>>        (This may not be 100% accurate; the person who knows most about
>>> this is
>>> on vacation, but I'll try to explain to the best of my understanding.)
>>>
>>>        Those weird URLs are part of a clicktracking process.  It's a test
>>> see how people go about editing the page *most often* (by section, or by
>>> edit tab) and further to see how effective various calls-to-action (such
>>> as those given by Article Feedback) are.
>>>
>>>        The longevity of the data isn't something I can comment to but I'd
>>> be
>>> surprised if it lasted even 3 months.  I do not know if there are
>>> identity markers connected to them but I wouldn't be surprised.
>>>
>>>        To that end, the data is only useful in roll-ups, and wouldn't be
>>> something published anywhere except in aggregate.

>>> will

>>> extensions/CheckUser/CheckU<http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/CheckUser/CheckU>

>>> --
>>> Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation
>>>
>>> Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/Donate<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate>

> Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/Donate<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate>

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development
Wikimedia Foundation