[Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 16:54:08 UTC 2012

On Dec 29, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Leinonen Teemu <teemu.leinonen at aalto.fi> wrote:

> On 29.12.2012, at 9.35, "Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com" <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am not affiliated with Wiki Med. However as an American, "Health" to my ear means scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$.
>
> OK. I am sure in the US the World *Health* Organization is also seen by many as "scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$". :-)
>
> In other places the WHO is the international organization that is concerned with public *health*.
>
> -Teemu

Of course WHO, NIMH, HHS, etc aren't seen that way (not that they are often spelled out). Older established organizations that predate the rise in popularity of chiropractors, anti-vaccination, and non-traditional healing are seen however their history warrants. New organizations without a history are evaluated somewhat differently.

I don't support the incorporation as "Wiki Med" myself.  I only thought to explain what roadblocks there might be to pushing the organization to rename as "Wiki Health" instead, since many here might not be familiar with the local connotations. Take it, snark over it, or leave it, but I imagine that I have a better idea of how this would be perceived in the US than you do.

Birgitte SB