[Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Ziko van Dijk vandijk at wmnederland.nl
Sat Dec 29 16:36:25 UTC 2012

I'm confident to see soon a Wikimedia Medicine as the model for some
other thematic organizations, and I am curious how it will evolve.
Maybe I will never understand what is a "foundation" in the US. In the
Netherlands or Germany, we distinguish between an association (with
members) and a foundation (without members, only the board members).
In the US, it seems, both can be a "foundation" and decide wether to
allow members or not.
Kind regards
Ziko

PS: I did not invent the abbreviation "thorg", and I only learned
later that "thorg" exists in the Marvel and WoW universes. :-)

2012/12/29 James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com>:
> Hum yes. We wanted Wikimedia Medicine, than where not able to get
> permission to us Wikimedia so changed it to Wiki Medicine, NY state did not
> like Medicine (and if we wanted to use it we needed permission from some
> medical board) so abbreviated that as well giving us Wiki Med. NY state
> added the Foundation Inc. bit.
>
> The hope is to one day operate under the name Wikimedia Medicine. Hopefully
> with a bit of paper work this can be achieved.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine