[Wikimedia-l] Rationale for fundraising record?

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 08:03:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> In relation to the question above, I'd be much more happy to hear that
> this is the product of staff's work, than the product of some global
> social changes. Although it would be great if the world is changing so
> quickly, it's much more unpredictable variable than work inside of the
> organization.
>
> [1]
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/12/27/wikimedia-foundation-raises-25-million-in-record-time-during-2012-fundraiser/

I greatly believe this is the product staff's work.  I was a part of
Fundraising 2010 for the WMF as a part-time contractor, and I've closely
followed the work of the fundraising team since.  Megan Hernandez and her
team have learned and grown each year, as has Zack and his work with the
team, on meta, and here.  The track record is quite clear, people are not
contributing in the English language markets this year as opposed to last
because of trends when the English Wikipedia's popularity has not
significantly changed.

Kudos to Fundraising 2012.  I saw about three banners and you met your
target in record time.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan