[Wikimedia-l] No access to the Uzbek Wikipedia in Uzbekistan

Leslie Carr lcarr at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 27 21:20:57 UTC 2012

> I wish that  http://208.80.154.225/wiki/Bosh_Sahifa and
> https://208.80.154.225/wiki/Bosh_Sahifa would work, too, but the
> foundation apparently can't or chooses not to afford separate IP
> addresses for each language's Wikipedia.

As one of the network folks, I will answer this.   We do not have
enough public IP(v4)s for an address for each language in each
project, and unless someone gives us a major donation of IPv4
addresses (anyone have a spare /20 laying around?), I don't think we
will be able to make this happen as we are frugal with our existing
IPs and the allocating authorities (RIPE and ARIN) are being quite
strict with their new IPv4 allocations.

If you'd like to read more about IP allocation policies, here's a few links
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four3
https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_depletion.html
https://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-553 (see section 5.6)

Leslie