[Wikimedia-l] fundraising status?

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 03:29:20 UTC 2012

SJ,

I have been looking for the commitment you mentioned in Board and
related records, but I can not find it:

> We have committed to ending the active banner-driven fundraising once we meet our targets.

Does that commitment take precedence over the unanimous resolution of
the board of 9 October 2010 that Nemo pointed out at
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_fundraising_principles
which directs the Executive Director to "implement ... 1) Maximizing
public support: Fundraising activities in the Wikimedia movement
should generally be directed at achieving the highest possible overall
financial support for the Wikimedia movement, in terms of both
financial totals and the number of individuals making
contributions...."? If so, could you please share the background and
Board deliberation records pertaining to it? I am concerned that the
Foundation is bowing to the wishes of op-ed critiques in the press to
the exclusion of the Board's unanimous resolutions.

Again, I would not be so concerned if it were not for the evidence of
the deception regarding measured fundraising message effectiveness,
the nearly two million dollars in missing reserve funds, the sharply
widening ratio between executive and junior staff pay, the high staff
turnover, late vital projects, insufficient staff for the Education
Program, employee dissatisfaction and below par compensation reported
on Glassdoor.com, lack of a meaningfully wide call for community
consultation or reasonable numbers of community members commenting on
the recent "narrowing focus" changes, and lack of telepresence options
for Wikimania attendees. Many of these issues dwarf the ignominious
events of the Foundation's past, so I hope you, the other trustees,
and the Foundation leadership will address all of them swiftly.

Sincerely,
James Salsman